Friday, April 19, 2019

Portrait Subjects and Self-Critique

TOPIC 1: TWO PORTRAIT SUBJECTS --  Write about TWO possible subjects for your Environmental Portrait and Mug Shot.  For each subject note:

  1. His or her FULL NAME: Kurt Morgan Tristan Smith
  2. Your subject's "claim to fame” (What is their passion? What are they best known for? Job? Creativity? Achievement?): KM: Financial Adviser/Skier TS: Police Officer
  3. The best environment in which to shoot this person: KM: Office or on the slopes TS: Police Station
  4. Props that would work best: KM: Computer, stack of coins or ski's TS: Police car, city sign
  5. How you plan to contact this person: KM: Phone TS: Phone or email







TOPIC 2: SELF-CRITIQUE --  Now that you've been committing photojournalism for a few weeks ...

  1. What is the BEST PHOTO you've taken for this class, and WHY is it your best? (Post a copy of it! AND A LINK!): I would say my best photo that I've taken in this class was my photo of Daniel Thomas, when I was taking the portraits of LBCC students. I love the lighting and shadows on his face. I like the composition of the scene, showing his ideal study location and setting. I think the lower angle really brought the scene together, giving it a new perspective.
  2. What is the WORST PHOTO you've posted on your blog so far, and WHY did it turn out that way? (Post a copy, or not ...): The worst photo I've posted so far on my blog is the one I posted of Sean Moran outside of the Benton Center. I'm not a huge fan of the lighting or the background of the scene. The environment around him doesn't tell the story of an LB student. To me the picture is very cut and dry, with not a lot of exciting things happening around it.
  3. What SKILL do you feel you have to improve the most to raise the quality of your photos?
  4. I believe the skills that I need to work on are just finding the right angles and setting for the photos. I really need to try and tell a story based on the props and environment around them. I think I just have to ask more questions, and really get to know them a little better before taking a photo of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment