Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Week 4: Media Blog Forum

TOPIC 1: NPPA CODE OF ETHICS -- Look at the National Press Photographers Association Code of Ethics posted on Moodle.
  1. Code #4, stands out to me the most because you see it played out heavily in the Lynsey Addario book. Treating and be compassionate towards others after taking heartbreaking images, is human nature. You must recognize you're not just taking pictures of a subject, but the person in front of the lens has a life, a story and is going through pain.
  2. Code #6 is a great one to take to heart. When approaching others and learning their stories to photograph, make sure you are being respectful. You don't want to sit down and be rude or interrupt them. BE there because you genuinely care about their story and want to here what they went through.
  3. I would apply the rules that I picked above by trying to remain unbiased when talking to a group or individual that I don't necessarily agree with. I need to remain polite and show respect to someone else's ideologies even if I may disagree.
 
TOPIC 2: FAVORITE PHOTOS -- As we approach the midpoint of the term, let's do a shoutout for some of your fellow students' work.

One of my favorite class photos was one that Brady took for the LBCC part 2 assignment of Quinn Bohlen. I love the lighting and different colors in the shot. I also think the composition of having him in the center behind the cash center makes it clear who the subject of the photo is. You can tell that he works in a clothing/skate store due to the background which adds to the story of the photo. I just think the photo draws the viewer in and is a quality photo.
Link: https://bradyford33.blogspot.com/2019/04/humans-of-lbcc.html

Another really great photo taken by Will, is of Jacob Orsmby. I think the photo is a quality image. The composition takes a lower angle which switches it up from the cliche portrait photo. I like the landing and also the brick wall creates a nice back drop for the scene.
Link: https://willreddekopp.blogspot.com/


TOPIC 3: FAVORITE LYNSEY ADDARIO MOMENTS: Describe your favorite part of the book so far, identifying the page numbers of the passage; include a quote; why did this particular story stand out to you; what have you learned about photojournalism from Lynsey Addario?

My favorite part of the book so far is when Lynsey describes her first car bombing experience. The scene itself is a horrifying read and is a very intense moment, but I love reading her thought process through the whole thing. I think her most powerful thought is as quoted, "An experienced conflict photographer would know to stay, to shoot the wreckage, injured, and dead, but I was young. This was my first bomb" (122). I think this quote begins the process of a huge mind shift in Lynsey. It shows that she recognizes the cost of her profession and the sacrifes she needs to make in order ti capture what is truly happening around her, even that means going against her very instincts to flee.

No comments:

Post a Comment